Wednesday 23 December 2015

1/144 Gundam Barbatos

Somehow I had stopped writing in this blog for almost 2? 3years ?....

Probably there wasn't much to be written during these times....

Somehow someway I have a sudden urges that this year, I would put more effort in doing my models regardless the hefty workload. I think time management really does play a big role here. Well, consider its a new year resolution or whatever they called it.... Its been a few months that I had been struggling with a Tamiya 1/12 Ducati Panigale and it is almost done just a few more puzzles and riddles to solve before final assembly.

Today I wouldn't be recording progresss for the Panigale, but this 1/144 Barbatos (sounds quite Caribbean to me). Bandai had yet to achieve probably another milestone Gundam series after the poor rating of AGE Gundam and also G Reconguista  series. The mecha itself was some how steampunk-ish, if you ask me, with plenty of rust and wore out effect in the anime.... probably aiming at a more realistic warring era in the setting of the anime.

Just to get some warm up, I did some slight modification/part separation on the arm of this kit.






(Picture1)   As you can see the arm parts are separated right in the middle of this kit. Bandai had dozens of engineers designing model, who can probably single handed altered the design into a seam-line less design....yet.....hmmm, I wonder wat was the intention ? ( It could be another conspiracy theory building up...)













Just a instant simple crude idea pops out, so I just sawed off one side of the wrist armor using etching saw. Then cement the sawed off part to the other side using it as an alignment measure point.










This is how it looks like after cemented. Just need a couple of adjustment before leaving the cement to cure. No matter how good it is aligned there will still be traces of the seam. Putty time in the future is inevitable. Another thoughts did pop into mind, If I were to execute puttying and sanding on these rather fragile part which is just connected with cement it could possibly detached. So, to be safe something shall be done.


For a safe execution, I ad decided to cut the other side of the wrist armor thus creating a small piece probably measuring 5mm long and 4mm width. This small piece will definately go missing if I were to leave it on the table or even I put in back into the box. So another brainstorming and another session of pro and cons tug of war of the mind is need to appropriately finalize the fate of this small piece.


Guess the best option would be to cement te piece onto the inner frame of this kit and to mask it during the paint job. When All the parts are joined back it will look like the picture on the lower left.  




Date: 23rd Dec 2015, Wednesday  











No comments:

Post a Comment