Saturday 26 December 2015

1/48 Revell Mil Mi 24 Hind D



Last year our group Plazone and those from Hobby HQ organized a Airplane Group Build (AGB), building plane was something that I missed. During those old days, I started building airplanes before taking an interest in mecha/sci fi. I used to be a big fan of planes in WWII era and those during the Cold War. Just wanted to do something out of the ordinary, yet is consider a craft which can be taken in the air ( as the rues doesn't really state that it really need to be a conventional plane but a craft that can soar in the skies)

I always wanted to build a helicopter for so long, yet I prefer something in a larger scale besides 1/72 scale, which is quite small for a helicopter. Browse thru all the forums and online seler looking for a suitable candidate. As I was inquiring for a suitable subject, I came across a 1/48 Mi Mil 24 Hind D from Revell. First thing pops into my mind......NOWAY Revell kits is shitty and NOBODY builds it!!!!...yet my mind are determined on the Hind D ...it brings back memories of Metal Gear Solid and Rambo. As my search goes I did found out that Dragon does product the Hind D in 1/35 and the price are way too hefty for a cheapskate modeller like me. I WILL JUST TAKE MY CHANCES WITH REVELL!!! and there goes my order from oversea order, and the Revell kit landed right infront of my door steps within days.

I will give Revell a big pat on the shoulder for the great artwork on the box !!!! This gives me another shoved in motivating me, that the Revell kit wasn't so bad at all ....not.



Opened the box and went thru all the runners, well, plenty of flash to be clean. There is such an intuition that this is going to be one HELL of a build in terms of fitting  once I study the instruction manual. Started off with the cockpit and everything seem quite smooth except for a few pieces which needs trimming before it can fit into place. In terms of details , its just not sharp at all but what is there to complaint for the price I had paid are rather cheap for this kit. The cargo interior was surprisingly fitting. Colored the interior with the great old Russian turqouise cockpit scheme and the dials and turns according.

Things getting complicated as I were putting the 2 halves of the Hind D sandwiching the cockpit and cargo bay. It took me a few days to get the halves together with plenty of fitting issues. Re-scribe all the panel lines after I sand down all those raised panel lines ( another downsize of the kit). If I was not mistaken it took 3 times of polyester puttying to correct the steps and gap on the underbelly of this Hind D.

In the End, I chose the Beige /Green camo for the model. With few layers of enamel Buff color to blend in the green towards the beige sandy camo color. Enjoy the finished kit below, it may not be the best Hind D out there, but I m happy with the results so far .

   




No comments:

Post a Comment